Aug 14, 2012

Getting over a Bad Day: Thoughts on Changing your Perspective

Source

I saw a post from my lovely friend Kelly up on her blog, and decided I'd participate in a bit of Truthy Tuesday-ness of my own! Hop on over to the Maven Circle blog to check out how to participate, as well as to view other posts on this week's topic of bad days and how to get over them.

When I'm having a bad day, you'll definitely know it. 

This is not a trait about myself that I particularly love, but when I'm having a bad day or in a bad mood, I can get C-R-A-N-K_Y. Woe to you inanimate objects that get in my way and stub my toe, you puppies who pull on your leash, or people who irritate me on these kind of terrible, no good very bad days, because you might just be in for a bit of crankiness when I'm having one of those bad days.

I've written a post before about my ways to de-stress on these kinds of bad days (puppy hugs, tea, cookies and baths anyone? ) so today's post is more about ways that I try to change my perspective to turn a bad day into a good day.

Turn that frown upside down: Everyone's Mom has said this to them at some point, with varying results, but it's really a true statement. If I acknowledge that I'm in a bad mood and laugh at my crankiness or the fact that I just stubbed my toe on a box and am yelling at it, that little bit of realizing the ridiculous and acknowledging the crankiness can sometimes be enough to snap me out of a bad mood and out of a bad day funk. A little bit of laughing at yourself can go a long way.

Get a change of perspective, literally. Get up. Hang upside down, Do some yoga. Go outside for a walk. Go to another room. Go to the mall or the library or somewhere where you're not expected to talk. Hide under the blankets for awhile in a makeshift fort (we're never too old for a good blanket fort!). Having some new scenery to look at or getting out for a walk or some exercise always seems to get me out of my current state of mind and into a new one, as long as I don't stub my toes on too many things on my way.

Talk it Out. Maybe this is just me talking to my partner or a friend about whatever it is that has put me in a bad mood, or me spending some quality time with my journal complaining about everything, but some reflection and thought on the bad day mood can help give you some perspective on why you're feeling so cranky and help to get over it.  I know for myself, my bad mood usually my bad mood stems from frustration over a bunch of little things all piling up, so talking it out can definitely help as well as give me some perspective on the issues at hand and how to start solving them, rather than thinking of everything bad in my life that has happened EVER, since then I'm even more unlikely to recover from my bad mood.

What do you do to change your perspective when you're having a  bad day? 

♥ Craftzilla 

7 comments:

  1. So glad you decided to join in on Truthy Tuesday!

    It is amazing how a smile or laugh can be so contagious, but I had never considered literally getting a new perspective. That's brilliant & I will definitely have to try it the next time the bad day blues try to rain on my parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, glad my thoughts on the bad day-itis gave you a bit of a new perspective:) It's a struggle to rememeber it myself sometimes when the bad mood strikes!

      Delete
  2. I love the laughing at yourself bit, I try to do that too. And I love how you say to literally get a new perspective- exactly! Great advice. Thanks so much for adding your voice to our truthy tuesday, maven sista! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a great feature--having a topic is always a good motivator for me and I love hearing other people's perspectives!

      Delete
  3. Gillian, I read your post while I was out at Fabricland trying to get new perspective on MY bad day! Nice to know that other people use the same strategy! Like you though, my day didn't really get better til I had a good talk with my partner.. sometimes it's just a relief to verbalise what's going on! (A shoulder to cry on never hurts, either!) Hope you have lots of happy days coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also - You've motived me to post about the same topic! Hope you don't mind if I mention this post of yours?

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear great Gillian minds think alike on the new perspective, and glad you got a different perspective on your day:)

      Definitely go ahead and mention my post, I'd be honoured!

      Delete

Thanks for the comment love! I love to hear from you and I hope you come back to visit often. I'd love it if you left me a link to your blog so I can visit you back!